Saturday, June 22, 2013

Thankful for the small things

How often do you hear that it is the small things that count the most?  Pretty often right. Parenting after infertility makes that statement so true. How many parents say they are thankful for sleepless night? How many are thankful when their child is sick? Thankful for teething? Thankful for the expenses? Or what about thankful for the change in their life?  Chances are that if you ask a parent who dealt with infertility they would tell you just how thankful they are for these things as so much more!

We just went through a week of growth spurt and teething at the same time. While I wish I could take the pain, uncomfortable, and tiredness away from Emma, I would not change a thing!  She was clingy Monday so she stayed home with me. She didn't want me out of her sight, and I loved every minute of it. 

We had to buy more clothes due to the growth spurt, and I do not mind that at all.  In fact I had rather shop all day for her than to even think about going shopping for myself.

We have been so blessed with a good sleeping girl, but when she is sick and doesn't sleep well - we don't mind. We take turns checking on her, rocking her, holding her, and comforting her.  the other night she woke up and we both listened to her talking and signing herself back to sleep. I wouldn't trade the night time cuddling for anything in this world! 

Yes our routines have changed, yes we have changed, yes our life has changed, and yes our goals have changed. But would I change any of it - no.  I see what is important in life and can say that I enjoy life more now than I ever did before. Every day is something new and something gained.

Another thing I have experienced is how Emma has impacted other people. When we went to the beach last year I had an experience I will never forget. We had gone to the store and everyone went in a different direction. Emma was asleep in her carseat in the shopping cart. A woman walked by then came back saying I am sorry but I have to see your baby. I was caught off guard and said ok. She looked at Emma and started to have tears in her eyes. Emma woke up, looked at the woman, and smiled. The woman's tears grew and all she could say was "God knew I needed that, God bless you, and take care of that angel".  I don't know her story but I know she walked away with a different outlook.

We lost my cousin to brain cancer and to watch my uncle with Emma typically has me in tears and walking away. The first time he came to see her he would just look at her with tears in his eyes.  One day she was sleepy and he kept saying "don't go to sleep". It just breaks my heart because I know it hurts him and helps all at the same time.

I have friends that hold her and seeing how much they care for her and want the best for her. To watch Steve with her makes me fall in love with him over and over again.

So has our life changed? Yes, I never knew how great life could be. It all comes down to an answered prayer and being thankful that I have this precious life to watch grow. Even on the hardest days she melts my heart, my stress, and my worries. I am thankful for all of the things I have experienced in the past 11 months. The labor, the late nights, teething, clingy days, cuddly moments, crying times, and trying times. These are the moments and things I will forever treasure!

No comments:

Post a Comment