Sunday, October 13, 2013

Start of the Relay year.

So we have had our Relay For Life kick-off for 2014 and the busy year has started.  You may be asking what this has to do with Emma. The short answer - everything!  I don't want Emma to ever hear the word cancer except for her history book. I want her to see ribbon as hair bows not an indication of the type of cancer. I want her to have her family and friends watch her grow up, get married, and have children.  Not for her to watch them have surgery, chemo treatments, radiation treatments, and pray every time a test comes up.  I want her to be healthy and happy and not have to struggle with the fear of "the C word".

While we are preparing for our Relay I miss some evenings with Em at the house, but I had so much rather her miss this time and never deal with cancer than me sitting at home with her and her having the experiences with cancer that I have.  No I have never been diagnosed with cancer but I have 2 grandmothers that had breast cancer, a cousin who lost her battle with brain cancer, and a best friend who lost her battle with colon cancer.  None of those were easy to get through and I want to protect Emma from those heartbreaks.  The beginning of October was hard because in one week I missed two evenings with Emma.  Typically I try to take Emma with me to one of the two meetings but these two were longer ones that I knew she would not be happy with.  So next month she will go with me and she will grow up a Relay girl.

As you may know I had a relay team in the past, but in the past couple of years I have not had one.  Well that changed this year as well.  I started a team called Memory Makers to honor all of the memory makers in my life, and to continue their fight if they are no longer here with us.  Feel free to join my team, make a donation, purchase a luminaria in memory or honor of someone.  http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLCY14SA?team_id=1509817&pg=team&fr_id=61091

See you at RELAY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment